The Director’s Office announces the recipients of the 2015 Director’s Awards for Exceptional Achievement. The Director’s Awards recognize achievement in the following areas:
• Scientific: Significant scientific or technical contributions leading to important progress in an area of research or toward completion of a project
• Early Scientific Career: Significant scientific or technical contributions leading to important progress in an area of research or toward completion of a project (typically 0-5 years Postdoctoral)
• Safety: Accomplishments and leadership in promoting a safety culture
• Service: Assistance in support of the Lab’s mission and strategic goals provided in a spirit of cooperation and commitment to excellence
• Tech Transfer: Entrepreneurism and development of relationships with industry
• Operations: Achievement in operational effectiveness, process re-engineering or improvement, resource management and efficiency, or partnerships across organizational/departmental boundaries.
• Outreach: Promoting Lab’s education mission or improving community relations
• Diversity: Mentoring and leadership roles in organizations promoting diversity
• Societal Impact: Solving important challenges for society, research that furthers solutions to large social problems, or scientific breakthroughs that have improved the world
And a new award category created this year, the Berkeley Lab Citation, recognizes the highest level of service to Berkeley Lab and the network of DOE Labs.
The following individuals and teams will receive awards:
Scientific – ALS Brightness Upgrade Team: Christoph Steier and Arnaud Madur; the Development of X-ray Microscopy at World Record Resolution Team: Rich Celestre, David Kilcoyne, Stefano Marchesini, David Shapiro, Tolek Tyliszczak, Tony Warwick and Lee Yang
Early Scientific Career – Corinne Scown (individual award), SAXS-WAXS Advanced Light Source Team: Alexander Hexemer, Eric Schaible, and Cheng Wang
Safety – Scott Taylor (individual award)
Service – James Sethian (individual award), Steve Greenberg (individual award)
Operations – Science DMZ Team: Brent Draney and Eli Dart; the Modification of UCRP Employer Contribution Rate Team: Kim Williams, Lon Freeman, Jeff Blair, Glenn Kubiak, Ray Miskelley and Ken Reicher
Outreach – Sarah Richardson (individual award)
Diversity – Deborah Agarwal (individual award)
Berkeley Lab Citation – Eleanor Blakely (individual award), Lynn Rippe (individual award), Michael Zisman (individual award will be presented to Michael Zisman’s family)
A ceremony to recognize and celebrate these honorees takes place on Wednesday, Dec. 2, at 2:30 pm in the Bldg 50 Auditorium.