As the recent horrific North Bay fires demonstrated, the ability to safely evacuate an impacted area in a time-sensitive manner is critically important. To this end, the Lab’s Emergency Management Team will conduct a rapid mass evacuation drill on Tuesday, December 19, starting at 2:30 p.m.
With the scenario of an encroaching wildfire, this drill is designed to test how quickly we can evacuate and/or shelter in place at the Lab in a safe manner. The drill will also be used to identify potential issues that may hamper a rapid mass evacuation. Go here for additional updates, and here for recommendations for a safety and speedy evacuation.
To ensure the drill is as realistic as possible, all Lab personnel are expected to participate. The scope of the drill is as follows:
- Zone 1 – Personnel in Zone 1 will evacuate their buildings and walk through Blackberry Gate to the Foothill Parking Lot (lower Cyclotron Road). Personnel who bicycle to work will be asked to walk their bikes down to the Foothill Lot for safety reasons.
- Zone 2 – Personnel in Zone 2 will evacuate their buildings and walk through Blackberry Gate to the Foothill Parking Lot (lower Cyclotron Road). Personnel who bicycle to work will be asked to walk their bikes down to the Foothill Lot for safety reasons.
- Zone 3 – Personnel in Zone 3 are to shelter-in-place and will be asked to relocate to a pre-identified shelter (Buildings 15, 30, 33, and 80) for the duration of the drill.
- Zone 4 – Personnel in Zone 4 will evacuate the site via personal car through Grizzly Gate and will not return to the site. Personnel that do not have a personal car will relocate to a pre-identified shelter (Buildings 75, 76, 77A, 78, and 79).
- Zone 5 – Personnel in Zone 5 will be asked to relocate to a suitable shelter (Buildings 62, 66, and 67) for the duration of the drill.
- Zone 6 – Personnel in Zone 6 will evacuate via personal car through Strawberry Gate and will not return to the site until the following day. Personnel that do not have a personal car will relocate to a pre-identified shelter (Buildings 74, 84, and 85).
- Zone 7 – Personnel in Zone 7 (off-site locations) actions are being coordinated with the Building Emergency Team (BET) Leads.
- Personnel with mobility issues are asked to notify their supervisor or Emergency Management ([email protected]) immediately so that special accommodations can be made.
Once all personnel have been evacuated or sheltered, personnel in the Foothill Parking Lot can walk back to their respective areas. Shuttles will also be available to return staff to the lab. Shuttles will take employees to the bus stops at B65, B56, and B90 and the BART station. Alternatively, personnel can choose to not return to the site and walk through the UC Berkeley campus to the BART station.
Just prior to the termination of the drill, a LabAlert message will be sent for personnel accountability and to ascertain your status and location (shelter, off-site, or Foothill Lot). Do not respond to the LabAlert if you are driving.
Go here to view maps of the zones and traffic/shelter information for the Dec. 19 drill. Familiarize yourself with this chart prior to the drill (Note: these have been updated since originally posted).
Go here to familiarize yourself with the Zone map.
Go here to sign up for LabAlert.
Send your comments/questions to [email protected].
Thank you for supporting this emergency drill, which will test the Lab’s ability to implement protective actions in a timely and efficient manner to ensure the safety of the lab community.