Alan Searcy, who served as associate director and head of the Lab’s Materials and Molecular Research Division (predecessor of the Materials Sciences Division) from 1980 to 1984, passed away on Nov. 5 in Walnut Creek. Searcy joined the UC Berkeley engineering faculty in 1954 and remained a professor there for more than 50 years. Searcy achieved many accolades, including the Fulbright Lectureship (1960), the Guggenheim Fellowship (1967) and the Miller Research Professorship (1970-71). He was a charter member of the World Academy of Ceramics, an AAAS fellow and an American Ceramic Society fellow. Searcy served the Berkeley campus in a number of capacities, including appointments as Vice Chancellor from 1964-67.