Today at Berkeley Lab

Comment on Proposed Changes to Bereavement Leave Policy

Berkeley Lab is beginning the formal review and employee-comment period for the proposed Bereavement Leave policy of the Regulations and Procedures Manual (RPM). Berkeley Lab is proposing to increase the usage of bereavement leave from five days to 10 days for each family member. This policy applies to non-represented employees only. Represented employees should contact their union representatives or consult their collective bargaining agreement. Go here to review the proposed Bereavement Leave policy. To comment on this change, contact [email protected] by Feb. 1.

You can leave a comment. View the Comment Policy.

Comments

1. Adel Serafino, ADA Coord. says:

I wholeheartedly support the change from 5 days to 10 days. I am sure most of us who lose loved ones go through a bit of depression, which may be short-term or long-term, but it is still difficult to cope with work after only 5 days of bereavement. This is a change for the better and sends a message the Lab cares about its employees.

2. Sara Wynne says:

I agree with the comments already made. 5 days is not long enough, for logistical and travel reasons, and I want to include the grief/emotional process. Please pass this extension. I also appreciate the “in-laws” being included. Both my parents have passed, 5 and 9 years ago this month, and my “registered domestic partner” was, and continues to be of tremendous support. I am glad you recognize that my relationship with her parents for the past 20 years will be an incredible toll on both of us.

3. Gita Meckel says:

I support the increase in bereavement leave. Most of my family does not reside in the United States and having the additional time to travel back home to deal with the loss of a family member would be very beneficial.

4. Steve Bakaley says:

Both of my parents died in Philadelphia. Both times two of the five days were eaten up by transit. Please pass this change.

5. Paul Schaffner says:

For logistical reasons alone this is a great idea, little can be accomplished within 5 days when dealing with the loss of a loved one.

6. Nancy Rothermich says:

I support the increase in bereavement leave. In this day and age, the legal aspects of settling an estate takes up a considerable amount of time and that’s if everything goes smoothly. Bereavement leave should cover those days needed to settle estates as well as burial/cremation.

7. Tatyana Smirnova says:

a lot of us still have the closest relatives in foreign countries and there might not be enough time to travel and to take care of all the necessary arrangements and to grieve. I support this proposal fully.

8. Dianne Brenner says:

Increasing the option to use up to 10 days of bereavement leave will be a big help to all of us, but especially those who lose family members who are out of state or out of the country. The logistics as well as the emotional toll really cannot be settled in 5 days. Being able to use more of our accrued leave would recognize this fact and would be a huge help. I urge you to pass this proposed change.

9. Tammera Campbell says:

I lost my father-in-law this last year after 35 years of friendship. The amount of work and support that my husband and sister-in-law needed was tremendous. Losing a loved one is devastating. I commend the Lab on considering this as an option. This effort shows support of the employees in their time of need.