Today at Berkeley Lab

Nonstop BART-to-ALS Shuttle to Replace Bike Trailer

Due to low ridership, the Bike Shuttle Express will end at 11 a.m. on Dec. 21. To better serve cyclists, a new, nonstop van will run between the Downtown Berkeley BART Station and the Advanced Light Source. The van will leave the BART Station at 7:25, 7:50, 8:15, 8:40 and 9:05 a.m. on weekdays. It will accommodate 14 passengers, with priority given to the first five cyclists.

You can leave a comment. View the Comment Policy.

Comments

1. Hi all,

If you commute by bicycle to work, I recommend that you join the Bike Commuters Google Group at http://bikes.lbl.gov/ . You’ll find answers to some of your questions there, and can provide feedback.

Just speaking as a fellow bicycle commuter,

-= Stefan

2. Florian Soom says:

Too bad. The bike trailer was definitely way nicer than the horrid spoke-killing rear racks. I didn’t take it very often, because I usually just didn’t manage to catch the last one at 9:30, and because it mostly dropped off everybody at ALS when I have to go still further up the lab (85B).
    I am wondering in what way the new shuttle service is going to accommodate the bikes of those first five cyclists. If it’s the same old rear racks as on the other shuttles, it’s pathetic to say it will better serve cyclists. It will definitely better serve anybody needing to go to ALS though!

3. Brett Singer says:

As someone who actually did use the bike shuttle occasionally, I have mixed feelings. I felt it was reasonably well advertised, though I have heard from a few cyclists who were unaware of it. The concerns that people raise about the back racks on the main shuttles are spot on: they are hard to use and they are risky for the bikes. I think the main barrier to its success was its inconvenient pick-up location. If it would pick up along Oxford and also at one of the Hearst stops – either Arch or Euclid – it would be SOOO much easier to use. The reasons provided for why it could not stop there – that it was too long and also too dangerous for cyclists to load at those locations – seem surmountable. The one bright spot is that the new bus will run more frequently and with priority given to cyclists it should work well at least for the off-season. I am still worried about having stranded cyclists in the summer. But even then, those cyclists that can adjust their schedule should do so IMO.

4. Lauren Tom says:

I’m disappointed to hear that the bike shuttle is being discontinued, particularly when the Lab is pushing alternative “green” ways to get to work. I no longer work on the Hill, otherwise I would have used it VERY frequently. The one time I did use it, it worked out great. The bike trailer was so much easier to load than the vertical racks on the back of the shuttle buses. The vertical racks are challenging to use for shorter people and they can damage your bike. The straps at the bottom don’t all work and can leave your bike swaying (and break your spokes). I agree with the comment above that the bike shuttle was not well advertised. Maybe that’s way ridership was so low!

Here’s another thing. During the winter months (particularly after day-light savings) I change my biking habits and drive more, a lot more. It make sense that others may do the same. If the Lab is basing their low ridership counts off these past few months, then of course ridership is low. It may be worth giving it another shot. I’d bet more people would use it with better advertising and warmer/longer days.

5. Alyssa Brand says:

I am very interested to know how bikes will be accommodated on this route. Will there be a trailer or a rack? A non-stop route up the hill makes me far more likely to take a bike or BART to work, as it will cut a large amount of time off my commute.

6. Marion Russell says:

I’m sorry to hear this and will miss the service. It was really easy to load a bike on the trailer vs the rear (too high) racks on the regular shuttle buses. I would have liked to see an earlier (than 8am) pick-up as well. Will the new van have a bike trailer?

7. Ross Schaefer says:

I would have like to use it, but staring after 8am was too late for me. The few times I missed the earlier Capital Corridor train and got to use the bike trailer, it was great.

8. Diane Douglas says:

Can you clarify if “to 10 a.m.” means the last pickup downtown will be at 10am or is that the last dropoff time at the ALS?

9. Kyle Diederichsen says:

This is really disappointing, I don’t ride my bike, but the bike trailer was barely advertised to the lab. Very little effort was ever made to bring in ridership (no ads on buses, barely any emails). With this new service I would strongly recommend actually adding a map to the shuttle website immediately, clearly labeling the van as a new ‘Green’ route and actually advertising it with a sign on the other buses at the very least. Just having the driver shout out the window to waiting passengers is not effective. With any new service you have to get the word out or people won’t change their habits.