Last month, Marilee Bailey of the IT Division was rummaging through a refrigerator unit that housed old negatives of Lab photographs, as part of an archiving project. She came across some images showing the construction of a “cyclodrome,” a one-quarter sized working model E.O. Lawrence had built to test the concept of the Bevatron. Work on the model began in 1948 and was completed in 1949 at a cost of $200K. It was located on what was called the Wilson Tract, just northwest of the 184” Cyclotron (now the Advanced Light Source). It was dismantled in 1950. Go here to watch video at a higher resolution. Go here to see additional photos and the letters authorizing the construction.